The Commonwealth Utilities Corporation has filed a $75 million reimbursement package with the Federal Emergency Management Agency for the first 90 days of emergency work after Super Typhoon Sinlaku, but CUC officials say they have no timeline for when federal funds will arrive — even as the utility continues paying restoration costs out of its own budget.
The filing follows the major federal disaster declaration issued after Sinlaku tore through the CNMI in mid‑April, toppling hundreds of power poles, shredding transmission lines, and leaving more than 15,000 customers without electricity and water across Saipan and Tinian. Under the declaration, FEMA may reimburse 100% of eligible emergency work completed within the first 90 days.
At a press briefing Friday, CUC Executive Director Kevin Watson said the $75 million request covers the full scope of early restoration work — including power poles, transformers, conductors, generator leases, and the deployment of Guam Power Authority crews and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers support.
“Some of the material, FEMA paid upfront. They provided the logistics and the contracts. But for others, we had to order it ourselves,” Watson said. “We went ahead and got contracts and ordered what we needed to speed up the recovery. All those numbers are figured into that cost.”
Watson cautioned that FEMA’s review process could significantly reduce the final reimbursement amount.
“We may not get 50% of what we submitted,” he said. “They still have to go through the numbers and the documents and come up with a decision — and that depends on when they have the funding.”
Watson noted that FEMA recently resumed operations after the federal government shutdown earlier this year, and the agency is still awaiting congressional appropriations for disaster relief nationwide.
“I haven’t gotten a timeline,” he said when asked when CUC might receive its first reimbursement. “We’re hopeful it will be before we finish all the restoration — before all those bills come due.”
In the meantime, CUC is using its own limited funds to keep the recovery moving.
“We’re basically using whatever we have right now to fund the recovery, and we don’t know when we’re going to receive reimbursement,” Watson said.
Despite the uncertainty, restoration continues. CUC crews — supported by GPA and off‑island responders — have energized most primary lines and backbone circuits. Water service has also improved, with more than 90% of customers now receiving water, though pressure remains inconsistent in higher‑elevation areas.
During the May 14 CUC board meeting, Watson confirmed that FEMA has acknowledged receipt of CUC’s documentation.
“We have started the process of filing, and they have approved 100% reimbursement in the first 90 days,” he said.